Thursday, September 10, 2009

Metronomes

A metronome is any device that produces a regulated aural, visual or tactile pulse. It dates back to the early 19th century. A metronome is used by some performing musicians for practice in maintaining a consistent tempo; it also allows composers to precisely specify the tempo desired.

Metronomes can be hard to appreciate, and they are even harder to love. The rhythmic accuracy required to play along with a metronome at many tempos is sometimes daunting, sometimes frustrating, but always worthwhile.

I grew up hating my metronome. I had a graveyard of metronomes: ones that I "dropped," ones that "fell off my stand," and ones that I "accidentally stepped on." And at the request of my music teacher, my poor parents kept buying me new ones. Think of all the other things they could have bought me if I had just taken care of the first one! Let's see, 3 additional metronomes purchased for me between 6th and 8th grade at $15 each would have bought me 16.364 hot fudge sundaes from Stewarts...but who's counting?

Now, I own about 7 metronomes. I have ones that cost less than $20 which can click anywhere between 40 and 200 bpm (that's "beats per minute," for those of you who have not yet encountered the device). I have one that has a light that flashes with the beat, and I have one that speaks to me (yes, speaks. It speaks subdivisions - du de du de - to me as I practice). I even have a metronome that looks like a child's bath toy. I can't think of practicing without my metronome close by.

Go out and get one! Look for brands such as Korg, Qwik Time, Matrix, and Boss.

Running low on funds? Plug in your computer speakers, turn up the volume, and visit websites like these:

Online Metronome

Web Metronome <-- This one is great because it provides the musical term for the tempo you're playing, and it can accent certain beats for you.

Seventh String Metronome <-- This one looks like an old desktop metronome and clicks with the same sort of sound. The foot-tapper is a little hard to maneuver, but it's easy enough to just set your own tempo.

8Notes Metronome <-- While I don't recommend you use this metronome to practice your orchestra music, it is a GREAT tool for those of you who like to make up -- or improvise -- your own music. My favorites are the Rock and Samba beats.