Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chamber Strings - 11th Rehearsal

I am sorry that we do not know when our concert will be rescheduled, but I will let you know as soon as a date has been chosen!
Today's rehearsal went very well considering our week-long haitus. We played our repertoire in reverse-concert order, beginning with Winter. I was very impressed at the level of control and focus that the cellos had in their opening measures of this piece. They were able to maintain a slow tempo as a section. The slower the better! Violins still have a faster tempo in their minds, but I can't stress enough the value of practice in increments of slow speeds! Many of you are now playing in the appropriate parts of your bow with the bowing that is marked, though I'm shocked to still see people trying to play double-down bow 32nd notes in the middle to upper-half of their bows! Fix!
Let's decide that we're only playing the Allegretto as marked (one repeat...playing the entire song 2x). There is a fermata on the last note, and so it should be held until either Joe or Andrea shows a cutoff. Again, I'm very happy with what I'm hearing from everyone. You are showing concern for other sections and making more musical decisions.
Probably my favorite part of rehearsal was Die Forelle! Second violins, violas, and cellos can still play quieter so as to stay below (in dynamic) the first violin melody, only bringing out the specific measures we discussed in your sectional. I know that singing this piece was hilarious -- as was singing AND playing at the same time -- but it was also very beneficial in that you could create "music" without the stress of fingerings, bowings, and complicated rhythms. Practice like this! I know it's silly, but it's okay to be silly if it helps in the long run. I'd love to be able to do this again -- especially for a song that was written for the voice!
Generally, intonation can be better. While intonation is partly my fault (because I can't physically tune you this week), you can do a lot to help. As string players, we have to constantly be aware of our tonal surroundings: what intervals are we forming? What part of the chord are we playing? How can we remember the shape that our hands should be in?

If possible, practice with someone who is in a different section this week.

In attendance were:
Joe Sipzner
Arianna Barnum
Ali Gohlke-Schermer
Katie Gonick
William Wang
Bill Dong
Marko Crnkovic
Erin Templeton
Rachel Swyer
Emma Pearson
Catie Rafferty
Karthik Ramesh
Andrea Long
Naila Brown
Cody Ingraham
Katie Yang
Full attendance! Yay!