Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chamber Strings - 6th Rehearsal

I demanded a lot of focus at this rehearsal, and I appreciate the cooperation I received. We began serious work on Die Forelle, based on Schubert's famous compositions. Between Die Forelle and Allegretto (Beethoven), we have a lot of division-type work to do to differentiate a quarter and eighth note in 6/8 meter from a dotted eighth and sixteenth note in 2/4 time. Use your metronome at slow speeds to help make this distinction.
The Die Forelle parts can be confusing. Remember that 2nd violins play part 3 and violas play part 2. If you are a first violinist who is uncomfortable playing the first violin part, please talk to me about it and I will come up with a solution that works for all of us.
I can't stress enough the need to be at the frog in the 32nd note passages in Winter! Traveling to different ends of the bow is where hooked bowings can really help you. Practice using the hooked bowing (and the faster notation of the 16th notes) to get your all the way to the frog before those 32nd notes come.
At this point, I'm bored with Adiorondack Sleighride, and I'd prefer to work on the other three pieces for performance. I may throw in some easier arrangements in the next few weeks, so do your best to focus on what you've got for now.
In attendance were:
Joe Sipzner
Ali Gohlke-Schermer
Katie Gonick
Arianna Barnum
Bill Dong
William Wang
Marko Crnkovic
Rachel Swyer
Erin Templeton
Karthik Ramesh
Catherine Rafferty
Emma Pearson
Andrea Long
Naila Brown
Cody Ingraham
We're sorry we missed: Katie Yang and Gloria Zhao